Sunday, August 07, 2005

Sometimes the best laid plans

If you could script bike races what would be the fun of racing them. You can only plan so much then you have to hang on & see what happens. Today was one of those days. As a team ICC, Stoker Ace, Super G, & I probably raced are best race yet. We just came up about 400 meters short. Today we were active @ the front but not dumb about it.

Stoker Ace had a great day sitting near the front chasing & watching. He managed to get in a break with Super G that I thought would stick but wasn't in the cards. He snuck into another break after a hard chase with about 10 minutes to go. I was sitting in the pack wishing it to stay off but you can't wish the race to the finish unfortunately.

ICC had some issues today with the oppressive heat but kept me company with my new game plan for the day resting @ the back. He guided me through a couple of potential crashes. Plus positioned me mid pack a few times when I was determined to stay @ the back.

Of course Super G had another fine display today all over the place molding the race duking it out all over the front. More on him later.

As I said I stuck around the back mostly trying to conserve energy. I did see 2 Cow Town guys get into a break that I chased down. Going from about dead last to bridge a 10 sec gap. The Cow Town guys are currently Super G's main competition right now in MOBRA thus the crazy chase.

With 5 minutes or so to go I moved toward the front, which took about 2 laps to get done. With 2 laps to go Super G tells me to move up. So time to go to work. I look around & everyone but Super G out weighs me by 20-30 pounds! Man I'm glad he's going for the final sprint & not me. I hit the climb on the front & I here who I think is Stoker Ace to slow up. Then out of the final turn I hear "GO,GO!" So I put my head down & go for all I'm worth down the finish straight. Through the finish to take the bell. Its starting to hurt, but I get a little recovery through the next to turns. Then its to the downhill & I shift into my 11 & completely bury myself. I plan on pulling off about the start of the backside rise but I figure I better go till I pop to be safe. That just happened to be 50 or 60 meters more. I swing off & hear"NO,NO!" I look over & know I've screwed the pooch or Super G in this case & yell"SORRRRRRRRY!" Damn it, it was Super yelling @ me & not Stoker. I've just hung him out to dry. But he recovers nicely & slips behind another wheel. Unfortunately in the last turn some idiot crashes about taking Super down. He manages to recover & take a 6th place. I feel bad for him that his lead out guys were climbers & not sprinters.

We really missed CMac today. Our lead out was almost perfect. Four guys is one guy too little. We needed CMAC's sprint power to finish it off. But like I said today was about as perfect a race as we raced as a team yet so the future looks bright when we get our big diesels recovered & or returned. You know who you are ICC, CMac, VanFasten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google