Monday, November 21, 2005

Sunday Cross


Sundays Lake cross had perfect cross weather. Cloudy, dreary, cold, misty, foggy, mud, wet grass, & a little light rain @ the end. All that no showed missed out on some fine racing as well. I'll be up front the A's race HURT! Cale put the whoop on me & made me pay for it. My legs are nice & sore today.

Because of the lack of racers this week a mass start format was used. I liked this idea because it gave me an opportunity to lay the flying drop kick to Skip & show him how to organize his day via the day planner. Sunday went like this. Get up, drink some fresh ground Starbucks, eat breakfast, take a poo, drive over to race, warm up, race with the intent of lapping Skip, go home shower, take a nap, go to work. I put a check next to all in my planner.

The race started out fairly easy so I took up the pace setting early on in the hope of stringing it out a little. Cale took over after the first lap & strung it out some more. After 13 minutes that felt like 40 the A's were whittled down to 4, then just 3. Who was the 3rd? I had to do a double take to confirm it was the Merm himself Emory! Having a great day marred only by crashes & a loud thunk on the barriers almost every lap. I stored this bit of info away for the 30 minute mark. When we hit the road I goaded Merm into taking a pull & Cale & I fell in behind. I had no intention of staying there long, just waiting for Emory to wear himself out sufficiently for me to attack him in the high speed barrier section where I kept hearing him hit. I jumped hard & Cale came with. Emory was able to hold on but speed was his enemy here. In the off camber chicane he got a little out of control & Mr. Newton gave him a physics lesson. See ya!

Cale jumped on the steep climb & I was popped & in damage control. Lap after lap I tried to close on the road section but any in roads I made Cale took back. So I was stuck in second trying to hold off Emory(who I swore was racing B's). Just before I got the Bell Lap I got tangled up in the show down for the B's race. I guess me lapping them was incentive to up the tempo in the hope that I'd drag them to the finish. All I wanted to do was stay the hell out of the way. I was going pretty hard when I heard someone(Matt) hit the deck pretty hard in the chicane. Being determined not to let Skip finish anywhere in front of me I pushed hard to the line to take the bell so wasn't able to see the sprint(UBallez took it to Skip from what I hear) Cale crossed the line first in what I'll say was his best tactically raced cross race so far. He'll be going well for state(Hopefully we can put a few Springtown boys on the podium). I lolly gagged across the barriers & walked my bike to the finish backwards to just nip Merm @ the line. Hmm a future B's contender?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:51 PM

    That was a good one yesterday! To bad there weren't more riders out to enjoy the awful conditions. Hopefully we can represent Springfield well at state...CMac
    P.S.
    Here's a link to some Wiscinsin cross pictures
    http://madcross.smugmug.com/gallery/982589

    ReplyDelete

Google