Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election day


OK I'll admit I was a little on the defensive when I went to the polls yesterday. A lot was @ stake, I'd done a LOT of reading on the issues. I'd read the link to be aware of voter irregularities that Mertz had sent me. I was on edge, ready for anything, ready to get out there & make my opinion heard.

Amber, Mia, & I headed to our polling place to do our civic duty & vote. I had my camera phone with me just like I had read was a good idea to carry. So going in to Willard Central Elementary I immediately notice all the Democratic candidate’s signs are furthest from the door while the Republican candidates have prime real estate next to the door. OK I let that one slide with just a slight comment to Amber.

Once inside & signed in with KIDCO security we find our alphabetical line. Amber immediately notices the Dunsmuir's are the youngest voting by about 30 years. Which I find amusing. While waiting in line Amber & I read the instructions on how to use the Arrow ballot since we have used the "hanging chad" version @ our previous polling place. No problem connect the line with a #2 pencil(remember this), black or blue ink, but no red ink. OK no problem.

Once issued our ballots we find a place to vote on the bookshelves(very limited space), go to the stack of #2's & choose a sharp pencil & not the crayons that where next to them since the instructions didn't say we could use crayons just pencils. Cool now we're voting.

Then out of the blue some 100 y/o Alzheimer suffering polling official comes over & grabs the pencil out of Amber's hand. Time kind of froze there for a second. The look on Amber's face was indescribable, somewhere between shock & pure confusion. I was grabbing for my camera phone. The old lady was spouting something about "Hun you can't vote with a pencil we'll have to invalidate your ballot." We both start pointing to the instructions telling the old bat it says use a #2 pencil! I was ready to take pics of everything, the ballot, the old bat, the instructions, the KIDCO security, the signs, you name it. I was going to be damn sure our votes counted. I guess one of the middle age election officials saw I was about to burst a vessel & stepped in & said yes it was ok.

The old bat's reply: "I guess I was asleep when he told us that." Now several hours later I came up with the ultimate response which I won't share here for fear of offending most. But to make a long story short we continued to vote & we "think" our ballots counted. At least we think they did since even though in the minority in our county we were in the majority state wide.

I'm not going to preach but I'm glad the people stood up & voted for change. Now let's hope some change can be enacted.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to vote and the story was most funny! However, I'm sure you voted just like your mother and I'm just not even going to go there! Yes, I am dissappointed in the vote and Yes I wish people would get a clue. No I did not vote because my preacher told me to vote a certain way. I read and read until I was blue in the face and made my mind up on my own!!!!! My vote did not count because if it had the things I voted for would of went my way. So to sum it up I'm proud you voted just wish it would of been the REPUBLICAN way. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:33 PM

    AMEN. TM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:13 PM

    Ha ha. Good story. I was on edge at the polling place too. Everything went smooth. The election official was the most evil sour looking old crone.

    I went to bed last night pretty depressed only to wake up to estactic news. I gives me hope for this area of the US we live in.

    Now all we have to do is hope that congress undose all the damage this corporatist regime has done to this country.

    Herr Rumsveld is adios. Ha ha. Just a week after Bush said he was doing a great job! I can't wait till all these killers are behind bars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:24 PM

    Oh ya. Now we can get busy doing what all us atheistic devils have wanted to do for a long time. Clone and kill as many babies as possible! lmfao

    ReplyDelete

Google