Monday, October 15, 2007

A 1/2 lap too far

Toed the CX line for the first time since December yesterday in Lawrence @ Chris Cross. Did my usual double Master's & 3/4's. Later this year I will probably race just the 1/2/3's as Nationals gets closer. All in all a pretty good day. Except for the tour of KC we when we missed the turn onto 435. Oh well we made it in plenty of time.

Master's was first. Let a guy get a gap from the gun & then sat in a group chasing the rest of the race with his team mate blocking. Kind of a bone head move on my part but no racing in the legs means no snap. I tried several times to get clear to no avail. Came through the final barrier section in third waiting for the sprint so of course I bobbled the remount just enough to let 2nd get a little gap on me & that was all she wrote. Third overall behind two 45+'s which gave me the win in the 35+'s, though I was still 3rd. The win got me $30 & some shwag, plus a Mia size cowbell which she loves ringing.

I was pretty tired @ the start of the 3/4's so my plan was to sit back & hover in the top ten. Didn't happen. As in the Master's race I was riding all the technical sections spot on & manged to bridge up to 2nd place. I stuck on his wheel like glue till a 1/2 lap too go. Then I'm pretty sure you could see the explosion in Lawrence all the way in the SPR. Boom! Went into damage control & got caught just before the barriers to end up 4th(last money spot, $20 to pay for my entry). Not too bad for not racing in a year.

I'm pretty sure I could have got the W if I had been fresh but right now my legs need racing laps. I'm pretty sore this AM with a few bumps for my efforts. I have the usual bump on my right thigh from hitting the pedal in the sandpit. I do it every race at least once. I also have a very sore knot on the back of my right thigh where a guy tried to shove his pedal up my ass. Not really his fault but damn it hurts.

Set up note: If your not riding tubulars your wasting your time racing cross. The Ridley was hooking up in the corners. I was was actually having to check up in the corners to keep from crossing wheels. I think I'm swapping out my brake pads though. Not really liking their feel.
Getting a kiss from my fan club.
The new kit.





3 comments:

  1. Nice work Scotty! I want to see some top tens in the 123's next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Job Scotty D! You know, you're kinda like a pro now that you don't have a day job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Scotty! Nice team kit too. We got our kids some of the mini cow bells at US Pro Championships in Greenville. They love them...too much! Keep up the good work and stay healthy.

    nnylfk

    ReplyDelete

Google