Thursday, December 20, 2007

Sac Scouting report

Yesterday was too nice a day to not get out & ride. So I loaded up the SS MTB & headed to Sac. The parking lot was at full capacity. While kitting up Chris King rolled up with a bike so caked in mud I almost bagged the ride. He gave me some good beta about the trails on the upper section being drier so I figured I was here so I'll get in some riding. Before he loaded up I had to explain to him that there were mountain bikes before 2003. He'd never seen Kooka brake levers or cranks. He was even more surprised to see a Univega Mountain bike. Kids these days.

For the parking lot being jammed the trails were quiet. I only saw a few people riding in packs. Most were friendly though I did get a pretty big snub. Oh well I'm not for everyone. One group was surprised to see me SSing on semi slicks. Makes you a better rider, maybe.

Trails have little mud in some of the corners. The rocky sections are a little slick. I even saw a couple of isolated patches of ice. For the most part very grippy & fast. If we don't get any rain by Friday the trails will be PERFECT! That makes for a great Friday Night Lights with the temp forecasted to get to 63 that day.

After an hour of SSing I changed into to my trail running garb & bagged a big loop on foot. From here till further notice I have a steady diet of SSing & running planned. No geared riding till the new year & then only on the TT bike. If my plan works out after XMAS I'll even be doing a little fixed gear training on the road. That is if my ghetto home conversion works as I have it pictured in my head. Sometimes my ideas don't always transfer to the real world so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google