Sunday, June 19, 2005

1 Down 51 to go

Yea I know 50 states but the USCF recognizes the District of Columbia & Puerto Rico. What the title means is I'm now the AR 30-34 TT champ (if I lived in AR that is) unfortunately I don't so some guy who rode a 1:10 is.

I'll take this as a gift though since there is no way I should be able to beat Pettus in a 40K if he's having a good day. I think the wind going out played the key role. I was struggling to maintain 22.5-23 mph. I hit the 20K turn around in 32:00 just behind Pettus. On the return I was able to punch it up to 28mph & really feel the burn.

I caught Pettus, my 30 sec man, with about 8k to go. I stayed ahead of him for about a min & a half when he decided to make me suffer for my faux pas of passing him. I was starting to have some serious ass problems but realizing that I had a shot at a sub hour(my first) finished strong passing Pettus for the win @ the line. Finish time 59:33(talk about negative splits!) Pettus came in 2nd in 30-34 in a respectable 1:00:05. Given the wind & knee pain he was having earlier in the week I'll call myself lucky & get ready for him to beat me unmercifully @ MO State TT. After the race I got to experience my first ass cramp, no wonder no one wants to do 40k's. They really screw up your body.

So a pretty good showing for the OCC boys 1-2 in our old man division. Everybody else stayed @ home scared of the TT (Like I now am).

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:53 PM

    welcome to the sub hour club. Now you have to make it to the sub 55 min club! It just keeps getting better does'n it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sub 55! Surely that's not physically possible for a mere mortal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HR Data? Patani once said he'd never use a HR monitor because it keep him from going fast enough. So when you come from the suffer school like me you need no HR.

    ReplyDelete

Google