Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Wed Double Feature

Sometime this week in a sleep deprived state I decided this week needed to be a hard week for training since I'd tapered back so much for AR Nationals. Keeping with that theme somehow hard became to mean sleep deprivation. Tues went without to go boating & do more freeze damage to my feet. Wednesday involved taking a 3 hour sleep & heading to SVA for a cross bike workout followed shortly by a trip to the track. SVA doesn't screw around on the cross bike. He had me doing big loop intervals @ my "perceived redline" (remember he's the one addicted to HR monitors not me). I'm guessing my redline was about 65% for him. I was huffing & puffing & drooling & snotting all over the place & he was just tooling along. Fortunately for the first time in a few weeks my legs felt descent & I was able to maintain the hard efforts.

After the cross ride I went home in an attempt to take a nap. Being so juiced up from the ride the only sleeping was done by Lucky & Lucy my lazy ass dogs. I wish I could fall asleep as fast as they do. They make Huffy look like a fat boy sprinting on a beach cruiser. Anyway I laid around & semi rested my legs for the track interval portion of my day. I never know in advance what SVA has in store for me so half the fun of showing up is finding out how bad he's going to hurt me. After 2 400's he tells me he has 2 1600's planned for me to finish on to let me know how to "gauge my effort". Great! I think he actually started laughing when he told me this. So 2x 400, 2x 800, 2x600, & 1 1600 later my legs where shot. So I cried no mas! As I told Scot last night as much apprehension as I had about running on the track its not too bad. Mostly because I can say no more anytime, where in college I had to finish regardless if I was missing a leg or not.

2x 400 1:20, 1:20 (1:25 target) 2X800 2:47, 2:53 (2:50 target) 2x600 1:59, 1:59 (2:00 target) 1x1600 5:48 (5:50 target) The mile repeats were intended to get me used to race pace for the Turkey Trot. My goal being sub 18:00. Two years ago on the old course I ran 17:29(5:38 pace), but & a big BUT I ran probably a dozen 5ks that year & went below 18:00 4x. This year the only running race I've done is a 50k.

Next week I'll being the official timer for the few planning on coming out. For those select few plan on receiving a complimentary dark adult beverage afterwards in the spirit of the holidays. Sorry Scot I'll owe you one. By the way he is right there are actually a few runners amongst us cyclists. For those of you who skipped out you've missed out on some quality training & a fine opportunity to improve your running. Look & the regulars CMAC, Speers, & Uballez, I'm hearing there footsteps on the shorter intervals. SDJ I know you where state champ in some sprint event even if you won't admit it.

1 comment:

Google