Monday, July 31, 2006

Small Time?

Queen City crits were yesterday. Small time & not worth the trip down seemed to be what the view of most of Missouri was saying. Funny how when we make the trip North we never utter such phrases. Oh well F it. We had a pretty good turn out regardless of the doubters. Thanks Inmon, JJ, Hopper, Norton, Stokes, Amber Greek, Cokehead, & all the others I'm forgetting that sat in the furnace all day to help.

The Cat 3 field was probably the smallest of the day with only 28 starting, 10 of who were racing for Tyson. We were graced by 3 of the biggest sandbaggers currently in cat 3's RH,JB, BD. Guess what happened? Tyson got J-Rod up the road then sat on any attempt to chase. With most of the St. Louis teams not present the race was over for all intensive purposes by 20 in. I was a little shocked to see TJ get dropped out of the break but like I said can't fight sandbagging @ its finest.

When Tyson is racing en mass you can always count on @ least one of them hitting the deck & them opening ginormous gaps for everyone but them to close. They are proof positive what happens to a club when it gets too big. They need to cat up 1/2 there 3's & split the other 1/2 in 1/2 again into separate teams. Everybody is getting sick of racing a team of 20 guys.

This was my first real race back from my little spill. Did ok, legs felt better than they had all week. I was pretty worried going into it. Glad the field was small & the tempo stayed pretty high since too much speeding up & slowing down probably would have popped me. I realized what had happened so I decided to give my legs a punishing & closed lots of gaps & did probably too much work on the front. Did try & go with 2 to go, a last ditch hail Mary that I knew was doomed but I knew I wasn't going to contest the sprint so had nothing to loose. Hopefully this week will be better training wise & I'll feel even better @ State. Though the forecast calls for Hot followed by continued hot with a chance for melting, so not good.

If I was thinking I would have done an onsite blog. I think most of the BOCOMO blogging community were present for the right turn festivities. It might have been amusing to get some comments from the field especially after Butthead missed his start.

6 comments:

  1. Scott, if I knew this was YOUR race, I would have been more amped to make the drive down from STL... I guess I didn't put two and two together. Duh.

    Is Springfield closer to KC than STL? It is strange, the races RH decides to show up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KC is about a 1/2 hour closer to The SPR than the STL is to the SPR. Nice catch on the RH reference. I guess when your being watched you have to keep a low profile & cherry pick. Shame he got beat @ his own game this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my race per say but the club I race for race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:59 PM

    Tyson has always been a team of bitches, for years! TM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott, I would've been there if the weather forecast hadn't been for 11 million frickin' degrees! Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess I need to pay attention more. TOO many fumes.

    ReplyDelete

Google