Tuesday, October 10, 2006

CX bike tests

Took the CX bikes out to Lake SPR this afternoon for some shake down riding. Not too bad have some fine tuning but that was too be expected. Saddle height, rear brakes, etc. Just minor stuff. Few more shake down rides & I should be ready to go.

Miscellaneous thoughts from practice:

I bought a set of cheap Kenda kwik's to put on the SS'er, actually pretty good tires for the dry conditions. If you need a cheap spare set I'd recommend them. Though I think they would be a bit slippy on wet grass or mud.
Dismounts & remounts need a little work but not to bad for first CX ride of season. Did manage to whack my nuts pretty hard one time, that'll wake you up.
SS'er skipped the chain off twice. Not sure why yet will have to do some investigating into that one.
Early afternoon not best time to ride @ the lake since CC practice is going on. Does add an interesting element dodging high school kids. Got asked if I was Phil Harris. What the hell is up with that?
Think I'm going to like running 2 rings up front this year. Gives me a lot more options.
Going to have to do some more running since I'm going to have to run with the bike more when on the SS.
Think the gearing combo is about right on the SS. Might tweak it a bit a gear inch or 2 either way. Have to do some testing & some Sheldon Brown figuring.
Ran into Coach Norton out for a spin on his CX bike.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:42 AM

    calendar is totally bitchin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking at your calendar and wondering what happened to NOT racing due to a certain bone that could exit the skin?
    Please guard those nuts I am in the hopes of another grandbaby one of these days say in another year?
    Can you fit a trip in to visit your wonderful mother some time SOON on that fancy calendar of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:45 PM

    Ouch Mom calling you out on the blog...CMac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:48 PM

    I noticed you are skipping the local series, AKA my race on the 29th. What about that family of yours? You don't need to me out of town that much. Stay close to home and race here the 29th...CMac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like the first nut bang of the season. Kenda makes good tires but like me they are a little heavy!

    Do you think Phil Harris' feelings are hurt?

    ReplyDelete

Google