Friday, December 08, 2006

The high price of racing

I've been following a discussion about the high price of CX Nationals on Treefarm's blog. Read the two posts about Nationals, then read the comments. He's got a point $52 for a race with no payout or field caps is pretty ridiculous. The high price of CX racing has been on my mind this whole season. It seemed last year prize money was a lot better & entry a lot lower. This year entry for races in KC averaged $30 with zero payout(except medals) in the Master's fields. Plus if you factor in the 2 races in Lawrence where you pay $30 + $6 to park in the park that's an expensive medal. None off that factors in gas either, but I won't go into a rant about the high price of gas.

Point is I know race promoters don't normally make money off putting on races but it seems to me this year CX promoting has been a profitable endeavor. Don't get me wrong I agree with the one comment that says racers are going to race regardless of the price. I payed my $30 & raced in the ice even though I knew I wasn't up to it @ State. I like to race. But eventually people aren't going to be able to afford racing unless they make 6 figures a year. It seems simple enough, no payout, a lot lower entry. People will still race just for the love of racing.

The price of racing has really made me stop & think about how much I'll race next year. I raced 25 days this year for a total of 31 races, though would have been more if not injured most of the year. More or less $800 in entry fees. Once again I won't figure in gas(I'm really scared to). I won about $400 in prize money give or take(most of that in road, only $40ish in CX). So I'm out 1/2 not too bad. I was out of pocket a ton more with AR racing. Where do I cap my entry fees @? Good question, one I'll be thinking a lot about this winter on those long cold, dark miles.

9 comments:

  1. If it only cost you $400 plus gas to race all year than it was worth it. If you had been home off work on those 25 days wouldn't you have spent some money on something? Do what you love to do and use your money to do it. Plus, we all know you will race no matter what it costs and no matter how much you win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'd race regardless. Taking time off almost drove me nuts. It just makes you wonder how much is too much? Eventually the people racing have to make a stand & say enough is enough, otherwise we'll be paying entry fees that are as expensive as Tri's

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is expensive and that is why I don't do it. And time away from home. The whole thing...gas, entry, license, club dues, mandatory team dresses etc. I would rather eat really good food(organic) and give the same to my kids. I also would rather put my money into the finest riding frames and acoutrements and such(I guess I'm hypersensative). Bottom line: I love to ride my bike and racing for me is not a means to an end. The journey is the destination.


    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUDE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike I appreciate the pureness of your endeavours. I do envy your ability to log hours upon hours of high watt bliss. If I could I would. I get my jollies from sticking it to people I know in reality should be able to kick my ass. I love to ride just me & my thoughts for hours, thus the reason I train solo so much. But I love the anger outlet racing gives me.

    You should come have a beer or 3 tonight. Belhaven, mmmm

    ayhevypq

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:01 PM

    To me, spending extra money to eat good food means a finely prepared steak at Chris', not an overpriced, worm-eaten, organic apple fertilized with pig crap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. too each his own. Though I prefer people who can own up to their own tastes not ridicule under the guise of anonymity..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let us keep this going. I like the way this is headed with the anger and such.

    Saying shitty things and using anonymous is pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Chris'. That's tops. I don't know what I was I'm thinking. I'm straight about it now! Thanx.

    I would go up there tonight but I know if I did I would end up face down in the gutter with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mike,
    What is wrong with being face down in a gutter with a ciggy hanging out? I guess maybe the weather would be a problem.
    Shane

    ReplyDelete

Google