Friday, January 12, 2007

Post to be posting

To make my mom happy & to give everyone something to read this icy weekend here's a rambling uncohesive post. Since it looks like all riding will be done indoors thanks to the predicted ice its a good thing I have a lot of shows stock piled on the DVR(yes Amber I'm glad I got one, finally). Plus my garage has become the place where projects go to become unfinished. I have a pretty healthy list of stuff I NEED to get done this weekend. Tops on that list would be finish up the painting & figure out why the pilot light on my h2o heater keeps going out. Plus I need to sort through all my unused goodies for a big EBAY style garage sale.
Surfing the net this AM I discovered I can buy a Derny in the UK. A derny would be way cooler than any scooter. I just need to figure out how to get a 2300 euro bike that weighs 47 kilos to the SPR. I thought getting Dugast's from Europe was going to be hard. This might be a bit more complicated since I don't think any of my relatives in the UK would be willing to pack it over in their luggage.
That's 70x11 gearing !

From Wiki:

"On a Derny, the driver sits close to the back of the bike in an upright position to provide an envelope of low wind resistance for the cyclist 'drafting' or slipstreaming behind. The machine has to be pushed and bump-started. It can then pace riders up to about 90kmh, although speeds in races rarely exceed 80kmh......A small group of semi-professional pacers travels around Europe for the winter six-day season. Most are in their 60s and 70s and some have been pacing for more than 40 years."

Somehow I can see my old man really getting into derny riding.

Edit to above post:

After more surfing I have stumbled on what could be a solution for Farasy's surgery & my possibility of surgery. A recumbent. No upper body needed. Plus they can be hooked to trainers. Who would have thought that? What do you think Jim? Maybe we could talk someone into loaning us one for a few months.

4 comments:

  1. Well this was fun rambling I am now surfing the net to read up about these bikes they are pretty cool but don't know what you are smoking or drinking to think your Dad would ride one but then you never know.
    You actually have a cousin in Scotland that makes a trip to the US of A about 3 times a year to New York to set up for some kind of conference and he has the contacts for hauling this bike. Maybe you should sit down and talk to your Dad about working this out it is actually do-able.
    I am holding you to a promise to vist in the next 2 weeks. It is now on record right here on the WWW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say he'd do it since old fat guys do it since the gear is only used to start it. Plus he'd get to inflict pain in me by pacing me way faster than I'd want. What cousin? 3 trips would work out about right, 2 for Dugast's, & one for the derny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:16 PM

    You've probably already replaced the thermal coupler but if you haven't that's a good place to start...CMac

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are taking losts of pictures of serious boredom in the house of Dunsmuir with no electricity! You know the number one thing that happens during power outages? Babies are made. Just thought you would like that piece of information. Love all three of you keep warm and kiss my niece for me.

    ReplyDelete

Google