Monday, September 24, 2007

Crossroads

Eventually we all come to a crossroads in our lives. Do you continue down the path your taking or do you turn left or right? Last Wednesday I hit that proverbial crossroads. I've been pretty unhappy in my job for several years now. It all started with the "move up" in my career path, first to a shift supervisor, then to the desk job. Philosophically I had a lot of problems with where I worked because of what they were doing to the environment, plus how they treat people.

Wednesday started out as any other day & quickly spiraled out of control. I was sitting at my desk running the morning report. In flies one of the plant supervisors screaming & yelling about something I had no control over. I've had run ins with this gentleman before so I informed him he needed to talk to the gentleman who is "supposed to be in charge". From there a 5 minute yelling match ensued traveling over several yards of the maintenance shop. Personally I don't like to be treated like crap & I try & treat people with the same respect. After this it turns out I "was at fault" not anyone else. This of course didn't sit too well with me since I have had to take several cussing for the "supervisor" before. He's one of the guys who can avoid trouble like the plague. Some how he can screw up & its always someone else's fault. After talking to Amber several times, it was decided I didn't need to work there anymore. I typed up my letter of resignation, packed my belongings, & walked out the door.

I'm now standing at that crossroads trying to decide what to do. I have lots of options so I won't continue down that path to hell. Having a job was making me too comfortable so I had no motivation to look for something that would give me more than a paycheck & constant stress. Now I have lots of motivation. The resume is dusted off & updated. I've been sending it out to lots of companies beginning my search for job satisfaction. Everything happens for a reason so hopefully this wasn't too dumb a move & will lead to being happier & have more job satisfaction.

Needless to say if you need to get a hold of me the email is the same & I'm using my old cell # again. For the time being I have a lot of free time on my hands to train.

9 comments:

  1. i once quit a job because my boss was yelling,making unreasonable demands and conducting unethical research...went home and freaked out because i needed money for rent, food..then went for a bike ride and by the time i got home another job offer was on the answering machine. people later told me they were surprised I lasted so long and stated quiting was probably the best thing I had have done....good work on walking out and go ride your bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:35 PM

    Glad you paid for that cross bike already:) Now two a days, running in the morning, barrier work in the evenings, rest repeat..CMac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny enough I did go for a ride that afternoon. Rode with a lot of anger & had one of the best rides I've had in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:51 PM

    I feel your pain. Im trying to juggle school and work and also training. It's driving me mad I can't keep up with it all. I hate my job thats why I went back to school but we cant pay all the bills on the wifes salary. Anyways Im sure something better will come up for you. Just be positive better things are waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:35 PM

    Damn! Glad to hear it. I remember for a long time about you not being happy there. MSU has maintenance jobs among other things you could probably do. Money is so so, but the environment is usually great and very low stress!!! Life will bring you what you need. Something always works out!
    Greg Pettus

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you!
    Wow.

    There's always Blackwater;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:39 AM

    How about working at A&B? Wont't help pay any bills but is very low stress. Seriously though I am sure something great will turn up and it will all be for the better.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:53 AM

    All this warm fuzzy crap is killing me! Everything happens for a reason, just follow your heart, we love you man. Blah blah blah. I not about to support your ass when you start dipping into the government funds! Get off the couch and find a job! CMac

    P.S. Just kidding...enjoy the time off I'm certain it won't last long

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:39 AM

    wow, that is crazy but it sounds like you did the right thing for you. sorry it had to happen. hug your wife!

    byron

    ReplyDelete

Google