Monday, October 29, 2007

I went to Kansas & hit for the cycle

I was going to name this post "I rode my bike more this weekend than Shane did all week" but he says I'm too negative. In an attempt to change my ways & bring more peace & love to the world Shane accept this:
Now I have changed my ways a little race report is in order. I went to Topeka on Saturday for the Capital Cup. This was day one of the double double. Good day. I won the Master's race, after going solo off the front for almost 3 long laps(2.1 miles per). The second part of the double was the 3/4's. Let a guy slip off the front then sat in a group of 5. Got nipped @ the line for the sprint for 2nd taking 3rd. Capital Cup was a great course. A little stretched out but cool venue. It was held at an abandoned Federal Mental Institution. Appropriate for cross & Halloween. It had a nasty run up. You can see how it felt in the slide show.

Day 2 of the double Double was a preview of the Nationals course. Not a good course for me but the addition of some sand will help a little. Got up bright & early to compete in the Master's again. Big group this time 40 some odd old men. I got away in a group of 3: Fish, a guy from Colorado, & myself. I was feeling yesterday & snapped a little with one to go. I did regroup enough to be within site of first & second @ the finish. Third overall placed me second in the 35+.

Warming up for the 3/4's I got the feeling that all I had done all weekend was warm up for races. My game plan was to try & get a good start & hold on for as long as I could. Got a good start & got in a good group. I did little to no work to try & save myself from imploding. Thanks to the work of two Team X guys the group got whittled down to the 3 of us. The same guy who got away yesterday had slipped away again this time. I felt bad for making one guy pull for 3 laps especially after I had used him pretty bad the day before so I gifted him second telling him I wouldn't contest the sprint. I guess I should have paid more attention though. I thought I had gapped his team mate through the final double run up. Nope. He got me on the line for third. So I ended up 4th. Completing the cycle 1,2, 3,4 .

The Springfield Armada was out in force. Skip sporting the baddest stache of all rode well to finish 28th out of a field of almost 50 & not getting lapped by me (I believe that might be a first for him). Must have been the stache. Feagan rode well to get 25th. TM rode really well to get lucky 13. Though if he would have been riding tubulars he would have finished @ least 5 places higher. Because if your not riding tubulars your not racing cross. Cale rode well all race cracking a little @ 1 to go in the 1/2's to get 10th out of 10 (unconfirmed total number of entries).

I also need to thank Nate & his clone (not sure which one took 5th in the Master's) for all the cheering/ heckling. I'm not sure what is going on @ MU but he's managed to clone himself for optimum course coverage cheering. Plus he saved my bonked out mind from not collecting my raffle prize of a case of Pale Ale.
I won the pint glasses @ the Capital Cup plus the cool CX sticker. Good thing I won the beer to fill them with.

4 comments:

  1. Nice work Scotty. Gotta love winning beer for racing!

    itdcv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:19 PM

    I "cracked" long before the last lap...CMac

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time I see you I expect a hug, no thanks on the reach-around.

    ReplyDelete

Google