Monday, December 17, 2007
Schooled is all I can say about my Nationals experience. There was enough DNS that I got that front row grid spot. If you look closely I'm on the far left right next to the Brandon Dwight who would go on to win the race. Me I just rolled around on the ground & when I wasn't on the ground I had one leg out tripoding trying to stay up right. Kinda hard to ride with just one leg. Feel bad for Cale since I could tell he really wanted me to pit & take a bike but not any need when I was racing my own personal suckfest '07.
I did learn somethings for next year.
1) Cross season is long & you need extra equipment to get you through it. Cables (I used 3 sets this season4 if you count the cable change Cale did to my frozen pit bike), BB (used 2), brake pads (4 sets), tires (only had one flat but no spare Challanges, Tufo's SUCK), a better pit bike, & Eggbeater rebuild kits.
2) I guess I'm going to break down & pay the weight price & go to wider Tubbies. Next year I'm going to 32's instead of 30's. I'm also getting a set of File Treads.
3) I need to get stronger in my upper body. The frozen ruts were literally ripping the bars out of my hands.
4) Pros are very approachable & will answer even the most stupid of questions. Yes I asked Travis Brown some no brainers. I was in awe what can I say the guy is a freaking legend. Same with Mark Gullickson.
5) I need to race more in the Elites to get used to the speed. Maybe even a trip to a USGP to race an Elite Master's.
6) If you want to be National Champion you need to let Shane hold your bike. He held Dwight's & he won. Next year Farasy can hold Dwight's, Shane your holding mine.
7) I need to suck less.
I appreciate everyone who stood out in the blizzard & cheered for me. I don't think I went more than 500 meters without someone yelling for me. Not sure who everyone was. I think a lot of KC cross racers.
Now its time to wind down the year & start getting ready for next years Cross season. Cross Rocks!