Monday, May 30, 2005

Hardtail

Spent my "day off" before going to work going back to my mtb roots. Hardtail that is. Had been batting the idea around for awhile since I've had no luck dropping the Fuel below 26lbs.

So I washed and scrubbed my spare frame(leftover from a previous derailleur incident). He stripped the Fuel of its necessary parts. I started weighing and assembling the hardtail in prep for Saturdays Greenways Adventure Race.

The first surprise was that my high dollar cockpit was only 2oz lighter than the original Beasts\'s cockpit. Second the Pilot weighs in @ a hefty 4+lbs & the tried & true Mozo Pro @ 3lbs 11oz. Guess which fork I went with? Not the brick for sure.

After some fighting with the Race Face crank (a quick trip to their website solved that problem) the hardtail is taking form. Then some serious issues with the front derailleur & all's well. Went for a quick test ride with Amber around the neighborhood & all seems ok except for a slow leak in the front tire(better change that before Saturday I guess).

Hopefully my old back can still handle rigid. I hope so because I like 22lbs a lot better than 26lbs! I guess now I need to think about selling the Fuel and perhaps getting a bumper shock bike. That might involve racing on the dirt again though-- HMM Expert Master 30+. Better start Sport or risk having to train even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google