Monday, June 13, 2005

Running

I can’t believe I used to like running so much. It’s such an inefficient mode of transportation. You do get the most bang for your buck fitness wise, but it’s so hard on your body. Your feet hurt, your legs hurt. Running to me has become a necessary evil. I’ve got to do it to stay competitive in Adventure Racing.

I’ve put it off long enough and have started up my run training again. Inspired by the greats; Van Asten and both Pettus’. I’ve run 3 times in the last week. Now too most that doesn’t seem like much. Coming from a guy who ran 40 miles TOTAL in 2 months before running a 50K, it’s a ton. So 3 times is a pretty big deal.

Now I have to stay motivated to run and continue getting on the bike. No longer do I have the persistent coach of high school and college days to motivate me. Now if I don’t fell like it I can just blow it off. To stay motivated I’ve formulated a goal. It’s a simple goal, to run a complete lap around the Deer Lake Golf Course. Goal? Well kind of because it will involve speed, endurance, and the agility in being able to elude golfers and stray golf balls. Plus I’ll have to steer clear of pesky golf marshals who would like nothing better than give me the boot of their course. So I’ll get some navigation training in there as well (call it a brick workout). My goals aren’t normal but not much about me says normal now does it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google