Thursday, January 05, 2006

Always be prepared?




As been the usual lately in an attempt to get in extra miles I rode over to meet Stoker & ICC. Usually I come loaded for all situation, extra gloves, a cool little jacket that bunches down to nothing, my trusty red vest, etc. The recent warm snap lulled me into submission & I headed out a little less than prepared. I was plenty warm but ICC whacked me over the head with the knowledge that we we're riding an extra hour tonight. OOPS! It gets F'ing cold after 6:30. Luckily ICC aka the Boy Scout had a spare pair of tights to go over my knickers & he carried some extra food that he was willing to share. Before heading out I decided to tighten up my headset for about the thousandth time. OOPS part 2! The damn stem bolt broke. Some quick Macgyvering & I was on the road. Somehow Stoker managed to get us out to Fordland & back. I asked how the heck he found this road & he said I love the 80's handed it down to Greeker who past along the knowledge to him. To make a long story short my pinky's ended up freezing solid along with my emergency Honey Stinger I've started carrying(very hard to suck down in solid form when you can't squeeze FYI). I got to spend 5 min in horrible pain while my left pinky defrogged. All's well now though.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE 80S KNOWS EVERY ROAD FOR 200 MILES AROUND HERE. HE IS A GREAT GUIDE OR YOU CAN USE HIM FOR IDEAS ON GREAT RIDES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have we gotten a little over zealous with our tightening? You don't know your own strength do you? Now, where's that torque wrench...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rub is there was almost NO torque involved. I bet I tighten 500+ bolts/week so have a pretty good handle on the torque I'm applying which really surprised the hell out of me when it made the familiar POP noise. I'd say the POS was just wore out.

    ReplyDelete

Google