Sunday, April 02, 2006

NWA not just a rap group anymore

For some reason that I'm not quite sure of I went to the NW Arkansas Spring Classic today. I know better than to race @ the end of a rest week, but smart is something I don't list on my resume. I would have been much better off to stay home & put the $35(that's right Highway robbery!) to something like coffee & a newspaper. Coker was dead set on going so I couldn't say no. For those of you who have never been to this race its got 2 small hills & LOTS OF F'ING WIND! about 40mph worth.

Short story long, first 5 miles Coker & I had to ride into the left side ditch to miss a road wide crash. Then 3 miles later I got a flat. No biggie have wheels in the wheel car. So I pull off my flat rear wheel & start to wait, & wait, wait, & wait, & wait some more. After almost 10 min I throw the flat back on & start riding back toward the start. After a mile I find the car. I had to ride in front of it to get it to stop. Then they gave me a 9 speed wheel, doesn't shift so well with a 10 speed set up. So then I get to chase back on from about 5 miles down. Thankfully the USCF official took mercy on me & let me motor pace @ about 40 mph. At the base of the big climb I finally caught on after 10 or so miles of chasing. Shit that hurt bad.

Not 10 miles after I caught back on I flatted my front tire. This change went text book. Then Coker & I started team time trialling to catch back on. I guess he got a little carried away & did his best baseball slide into a ditch, very spectacular. Pretty much the end of the race for us.

Lessons learned:
1: Don't race @ the end of a rest week.
2: Don't yell @ the official because you might need them to motor pace you back.
3: $35 is a ton of cash for nothing.
4: It sucks to drop out of races, don't know why its so popular.(this was the first cat 3 race I've ever DNF'D 2nd race all time)
5: I'm going to train my ass off because my legs told me some good things today.
6: If your in a break away make sure TJ is in it with you.

13 comments:

  1. Tough day in Arkansas! How did the "someday I might finish a 1-2 race" boys do?

    So it was windy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:06 AM

    Man that sucks! Staying home would have been much better prospect. Glad you didn't go down at least. Hope Jimbo is okay, and $35 is a lot for a race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:04 PM

    10 to 12 hours of sleep a NIGHT, are you f-in kidding me. Not to sound like Nelson but holy shit is your world gonna change in May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah the Hulk doesn't read my blog much. I normally sleep 4 hrs a day(not night) that was a once every six months kind of occurance. I haven't slept that muc in a week in maybe a year. The BMC North boys showed but did not race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why would they drive to Arkansas, be on a team from Arkansas, be in Arkansas and not race in Arkansas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. you world is still really going to change in may!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have zero fantasies about my world not changing. I know I'll get to become like Skippy & Crash & have to spend vast amounts of time training indoors so I can watch my wee one. I do know after 4 years of sleep deprivation I as ready as you can get for that.

    You'd have to inquire with the BMC North boys on that last one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:13 PM

    uhhh-

    sorry I havent kept up on my requisite blog reading-


    4 to 5 hours a night should put you right in line with babydom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hulk with all that freetime I figure you had nothing but time to read blog's. You get always get Jimmy to write you a synopsis(put it in his job description) Right back on track today; noon to 4:30 up & ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't race on Sunday because I raced on Saturday and got my ass kicked on lap one of a nine lap race. I was already in Arkansas...I didn't drive down there not to race. There is no glory in being a new cat 2.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:34 AM

    Gunga, keep up the getting your butt kicked, it will pay off and you will be returning the butt kicking one day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glory or gory being a new Cat 2? Stop it your making me rethink my upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jimmy, maybe you should see if they have a Napoleon category. You would win that easy!

    ReplyDelete

Google