Monday, April 10, 2006

The visor stays

I forgot to mention the rules of the visor poll, you had to have raced @ least once this year. That puts the eligible voters(from all those that wasted Skips time giving your 2 cents worth) to just 2, so mark that as a landslide victory for the visor. I'd count ICC's vote but needed a way to rig the election ala Florida & do away with all the no votes.

Races 10 & 11 for 2006 are in the book. Hillsboro Roubaix(The Hell of the Middle of No Where) & the Tillis Park crit. Hillsboro kicks Ass! I now know why it gets voted best race every year. It has its problems but those are all related to how entry is done & results posted. The course is classic with by far the coolest finishing circuit I've done. Bricks & lots of them. The course itself has about 500 turns, lots of crappy pot hole filled roads, gravel everywhere, & did I mention the wind? I'd say it was a crosswind but you turn so much once you think your in the draft your in the wind. Some how 2 guys passed the pace car & stayed off the front. Not sure how that happens? I saw the 2 guys afterwards & neither really looked like they could pull off a 30+ mile 2 man break when the pack is avg btwn 22-24mph. One of them had a pretty sizable belly roll. But hey if they actually did it they deserved the win. I managed to avoid a pile up in the finishing circuit & grab the right wheels. Just started my sprint about a bike length to soon, since I got third in the pack sprint(5th overall) by 1/2 a bike.

I had pretty good legs for the Tillis park crit. I got in 4 different breaks(including the final one) & won my 1st & 2nd primes of all time. Of course I ended up 8th in an 8 man sprint. Before you say it I did a ton of work all day& after the 2 primes & killing myself in the final break which I took a solo flyer out of for 2 laps; I just didn't have anything left for the finish. There were 4 guys not working in the break so some one had to do it, right? I would have done the exact same thing if I had teammates blocking as well. But since I didn't & couldn't count on the break sticking I decided a guaranteed 8th was better than taking my chances against 60+ guys in a field sprint.
Not too bad a weekend of racing 5th, 8th, & 2 primes I'll take that.

Lessons learned:
1) If there's crosswinds stay in the top 15 or you'll be chasing back on.
2) Patience, patience, patience in the sprint; learned on Sat put into effect on Sun.
3) Cat 3's get super sketchy in crosswinds.
4) Phish Live 18 will get you from St. Louis to Springfield with most of CD 3 left.

8 comments:

  1. I feel like a convicted felon since my vote did not count.

    Nice job on the races, any other Springburg boys around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first prime of all time too.

    Also my first race being verbally assaulted. I guess people like me?

    You like Phish? If you need more driving music just let me know, I've got 1000+ discs of shows. Just say the word, we can put it on disc or right onto your Ipod.

    That show has such an amazing energy and flow to it.

    Good racing and nice talking to you on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vote counted but it got lost in Florida hanging chad & all. BMC North boys were around but no report yet. COuple of the old foggies raced Sat & our Cat V Joey raced both days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watch out for Davey B kiddies got a good turn of speed & currently tearing up the MOBAR rankings. Got my work cut out for me since I got no sprint.

    Oh yeah PHISH are bad ass. Jammed the whole way home, except for a little road rage on the I-44 parking lot. Will have to take you up on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:50 AM

    Nice job on the races! Sorry not to be there helping out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished a race. I took 5th in the field sprint. I had to go back to something I know... Crit race'n. Cale was a few spots behind me. I will be up for riding on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimmy, fifth overall or in the field sprint? Nice to see you back in the thick of things. How did Ryan do? I saw on your blog he is on your team.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skip do? I saw no rollers race on the flyer. I think he's on VCRT racing in Europe.

    ReplyDelete

Google