Monday, April 17, 2006

When does it get too expensive?

With the price of everything going through the roof I'm beginning to wonder at what point do I say it's just too expensive? I've been thinking about that a lot lately. With gas being predicted to be close to $4 /gal this summer racing becomes an evil I can probably do without. That is unless some serious carpooling can be arranged. So far this year I've been lucky & only drove to 2 races by myself. Plus I've been able to arrange places to stay in most cities that I race in cutting out another expense, the hotel room. If gas gets to $3/gal the commuter comes out & I get in an extra 80 miles a week. Maybe with the $$$ I save I'll be able to get those 404's, since no one seems willing to buy me a set.

With that said @ what price is a race entry too high? This weekend is the Bob Herbert Stage Race. Its a good race but $70 for litttle payout seems high. Plus the field will be stacked with about 20 Cat 1(I mean Cat 3) Tyson guys. With those kind of numbers its pretty easy to dictate the outcome of the race. I'm not bitching, it just lowers the motivation a little to know that going into the race your fighting tough odds. But I am feeling pretty descent this week & I've been racing pretty aggressively lately so perhaps I can have a say in the outcome. I have till the 20th to decide. Then I'll have to do some last minute scrambling for ride share & place to stay if I go.

Unfortunately the Easter Bunny didn't bring me a set of 404's. I guess he was busy dropping off Sophia's goodies. I did get a package of Cadbury caramel eggs in the mail though(thanks Mom) mmm, mmm, yummy!

Here's some pics of me trying out my Fast on a hot Sunday afternoon. Got in almost 2 hours on it & was comfortable the whole time. Norton says you have to be super comfortable to take your mind off one less thing. Now if I could figure out how to block out the pain a 40k TT causes I'd be golden. Check out the tan lines & its only April!



Thought I had a RevX Spinergy Front wheel bought for it but some how the deal vanished on me. I'm pretty happy with my position but the set up needs some tweaking, most notably a front wheel. Are we ever really satisfied? I do like the 78 degree seat angle though, feels wicked fast. I rode into a 30 mph headwind & was still able to ride 25mph. Perhaps my goal of sub 56 @ State TT is more reality than fiction.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you say that gas prices are the reason you are not going to race, ha, ha, ha! We know the real reason, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't jump to conclusions. I said "IF" gas gets to $4. I could race 5x/yr & still race more than Skip. Plus I can always sneek off to Kansas to race.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:43 AM

    Position looks really good. And the motor is probably tuned well right now, keep feeding it and keeps those legs turning for those of us who have hardly seen our bikes.

    ReplyDelete

Google