Thursday, June 01, 2006

Oh to be young

Wednesday night had a tremendous turn out with 9 guys making the spectacle(not sure what it means but seems to make Jimmy happy). OG was on hand to once again rub in the fact that he has 404's & I don't. Plus he seems to be frying my brain & my heart rate monitor with that high output wireless rear computer. He did offer me the 404's as a loaner for the weekend, but I turned him down graciously since I wanted to not worry about breaking them in Tulsa. I'll have enough going on not to have to soft peddle the corners & risk loosing 16 minutes in a crit. EPO made an appearance fresh from his Colorado tour. Coach Ken, Joey B(the only OCC under 50 who races as much as I do, good guy), The Penn State JR, some random Belgium guy, JW, & the Hulk with anger o plenty. It took about 15 min for the Hulk to start talking about a WWF Smackdown cage match, "Snap into a skinny biker dude!" Luckily it wasn't me, I had on a sleeveless jersey & I think he was a little intimidated by the Gun Show.

Wanting easy miles I quickly joined forces with JR & showed him the bail out loop to get him back in time to catch his ride home. I'll say once he gets a little stronger on the climbs he'll be pretty good. I looked backed on a 40+mph descent & he was glued to my wheel, something that can't be said for most guys twice his age. I was a little impressed. Skip seems to have been as well, so he's batting 3 for 3(I get 2 votes since I swing a heavier bat than Skip).

Friday I head to Tulsa for my first races in 5 weeks. Seems strange after the spring campaign I put in to finally be racing again. Amber & Mia are going to accompany me for the weekend since her Aunt Reba has graciously gave us the use of their house for the weekend. Less driving & no hotel bill, YEAH! The website says the race course will be a WIFI zone so I'll see if I can get Amber to do a little play by play semi live ala Cyclingnews. This will be Mia's first time to see her Daddy race & hopefully I won't let her down. Though she will be saddened her dad will be rolling on inferior wheels.

9 comments:

  1. Two sleeveless jersey wearers on one ride! Can you see Skip in a sleeveless!

    If I win the lottery I will buy you those wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody needs to hurry up 7 win the damn lottery.

    Hogan actually had on sleeves last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That part about Hogan must have been a typo, did you say he had on sleeves?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How much are these bloody wheels again, I am ready to start a collection just so I can stop reading about it. Any one want to chip in with me? or maybe we need to start a fund raiser.
    I figured a post titled "oh to be young" should have at least included a picture of my precious grandbaby???
    Good luck this weekend I am looking forward to the live comments and PICTURES

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do not want to know how much those wheels cost!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will see you guy's tonight. Maybe a pint after the race?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds good. It'll kill the time while we wait for you to stand on the Podium...its crit season!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Jim passing out the awards to the riders?

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, he's the podium girl, he's kissing the riders on their cheeks - not those cheeks!

    ReplyDelete

Google