Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Happy BDay & the one spd

Happy BDAY Mia! She is 3 months old today.

Several years back I ripped the derailleur hanger threads out of this MTB. I've held on to it for no apparent reason. Yesterday I had an idea of what to do with it. Turn it into a single speed. I dugout an old 8 spd cassette & took it to work last night to work on the major hurdle of having only one cog on a freehub body.
With a 2 mm allen wrench I pulled the 3 bolts holding the cassette together. This let me take it apart & get to the individual spacers & cogs.Then I chucked up some 3 inch aluminum round stock into the lathe. I first bored it to fit over a freehub body. I then roughed it out to the general outside diameter I wanted. Had to remove quite a bit of stock. Then I tapered it so I had more surface area @ the cog less on the outside. I cut that piece off & slide it on to the freehub body with the cog & measured to see how big to make my other spacer.
Then some quick assembly and presto chango I have a one speed freehub body. Cool what you can do with a couple hours & a little know how. I'm going to try & get it built up this week so I can take it out for a spin this weekend.



4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:22 AM

    Would that be the time you and I were a Buesick?

    Man, what to do with all of those useless talents. Damn, you are handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's purdy. Where do you work Scott. Mia looks just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work for a company called OMSCO. We have the maintenance contract @ Carlisle aka Dayco. Big factory on Battlefield.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greg yes that was the time. Guess its technically been a ss since then, since that's how I got it out.

    ReplyDelete

Google