Friday, December 15, 2006

Bet your job is boring compared to mine

I'll admit 85%of the time my job is pretty mind numbing. There are the rare occasions things get real exciting. Usually its because of a fire. We average about 3 a year @ work, almost all @ night. I won't go into the logistics but the making of industrial belts tends to have fires & 3/year is nothing in the industry.

I digress. Last night not 5 minutes after sitting down to our annual Christmas company dinner the fire page goes out. All of my guys & myself leave our food were it sits & haul ass to the fire. I should mention we rarely call the fire department, even though a fire house is across the street(above my pay grade).

When I get there I realize we have a top 3 fire on our hands; yes I have a top ten list of fires I've seen @ work & this one will end up as #2. Enough smoke to keep the back part of the plant evacuated for almost 2 hours; the back part is like 10-15 acres?

Anyway to make a long exciting story short we had flames shooting out of an exhaust stack 4' high. I had two burning bags of carbon dust that were still smoldering when I left @ 7:30(that's 4.5 hrs of burn time).

At some point the Fire Department showed up, only 1 truck though. Fire #1 of all time we had 12 fire trucks from 4 stations. That's a fire kids. Sometime during my 50 trips up to the roof(no need to run today) I managed to take a 5' shortcut off the roof. Nothing like a little free fall in the dark to get your heart pumping. I landed very cat like & walked away unscathed.

So yes my job can be exciting sometimes.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:32 AM

    Damn, and I thought walking up three flights of stairs each day in my new office was trying!
    Hello to all in the big SPR from sunny South Carolina!

    Steve I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ladders kill my quads...bad!

    That is damn exciting. Do you guys get respirators?

    ReplyDelete
  3. intense. glad you are out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Google