Monday, December 03, 2007

Click, Click, Click

That was the sound TM's truck was making when he tried to start it to get some heat. It also about sums up how our little trip to Boss Cross went. I think only Skip didn't have any mishaps.

TM:
- 1 Battery for the Yukon
-Near hypothermia & frostbite

Cale Mac:
-Actually forgot his shoes. Who the hell does that? Especially a Cat 2 Pro. He brought his old road shoes. Luckily he found a Veteran of Belgium who had comparable spares to get him on his way.
-Got crashed & gapped by some shady bike handling, not his but some other tool.
-Had to suffer the humbling of being beat by me. I'll give him this he took it well.

Me:
The list here is long.
- While warming up My left Eggbeater came apart. Thanks to a team mate I was able to scare up another peddle.
- After the peddle change & still warming up (really just riding around since I never really got warm) I hit something with my front wheel & got to listen to the Hiss, hiss, hiss of a flat tubular. Nursed it to the start line & traded wheels with Skip. I should mention here that I didn't bring my pit bike or spare wheels. Hmmm I'm noticing a pattern here. Columbia no pit bike= broken chain & a DNF. Boss Cross no pit bike= broken peddle & flat tire. Lesson is bring pit bike.
-Got a crappy start since my head was somewhere else after all the warm up drama. On the first very easily ridable sand pit some dude crashed right in front of me & I had no where to go but down. So I spent 2 laps chasing back on to Cale's group. Eventually the race turned into a time trial. At 45 minutes I went into survival mode for the next 15 minutes. You really do get used to racing 45 minutes. The extra about did me in. I stayed consistent with just over 6 minute laps but each one felt like they were taking 20 minutes. The grass was muddy & sticky which just sucked the life out of you. By the finish my bike was caked in a mixture of sand & mud & it easily weighed 30 lbs. I predict new brake pads, cables, & maybe a new BB today when I wash it up. Costly race to finish somewhere from 6-8thish.

Short week of training this week with 2 days of racing this weekend in Herman for State CX. Plus its time to start tapering for Nationals(Field now at 166 entered) which is now 12 days away. Speaking of which I need someone to work the pit for me at Nationals. Chances are, I hope, you won't have to do anything. Worst case you have to wash bikes if its muddy. I'll be sure to make it worth your while.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:16 PM

    I'm your man Scott. I'd be honored to work the pits you YOU! No seriously I would enjoy it and feel that I'm competent to do so. Let me know what you need or expect from me...CMac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I'll take you up on it. Got rubber boots? I'll talk to you this week about it. I have a wash kit which I hope you won't need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:08 PM

    Oh I've got the whole shooting match, boots, slicker (yellow), rubber gloves...CMac

    ReplyDelete

Google