Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Good bye 2007 hello 2008

2007 was a so so year for me racing wise. Being hurt & having 2 surgeries didn't help. Don't get me wrong I had some good results, a few wins, & managed to cat up to 2's in CX. I actually did a lot better than I thought I would. That said its time to start thinking about 2008. I'm probably going to race less since I plan on racing on the dirt again. I need to bring my skills back up to what they used to be if I'm going to be competitive as a CX 2. I'm also going to do more TT's this year. More in an attempt to simulate CX & to keep the Dumbass to Scott ratio to a minimum. I'm finally healed & I don't want some idiot with marginal skills to crash me in a parking lot crit. I lost all my upgrade points by not racing last year so I'm stuck being a 3 on the road (unless I can convince Weiss to even out my license on CX results??). So to keep the dumbass to Scott ratio low I'll only be racing those events that have 1/2/3 races. That way I can avoid the sketchy 3/4 races.


Another big change this year is I'm racing unattached. No more OCC. I had to sever ties to race with the Ridley Grassroots team & it got me to thinking I really don't benefit racing with OCC anyway. Team wise they do nothing for me racing. Norton & Curt are the only 3's anyway & they focus on Master's. So in effect I race solo. I guess I'll end up having to go the part time job route @ A&B to keep the discount flowing or try & stay on Skip's good side.

I also plan on running more this year. I really want to get a sub 18 5k back under my belt. I think it should be pretty easy with a little run training. I'm kicking around the idea of doing the Sylamore 50k again. Though I think I'd train more than 15 miles total going into it this time. If I do it then I'll have to really consider doing a solo AR Race this year. I've always wanted to do one so this year might be the year.

Sitting here day one of 2008 its easy to make plans. Reality dictates I'll end up playing everything by ear anyway. My true goal is to stay healthy.

(edits to come as I think of more crap)

2007 Results

MO State TT 35-39 2nd place (57:25)
Chris Cross CX 35+ 1st (3rd Master)
Chris Cross CX 3/4 4th
Hogan Cross A’s 7th
Capitol Cup CX 35+ 1st (1st Overall Master)
Capitol Cup CX 3/4 3rd
Boulevard Cup CX 35+ 2nd (3rd Master)
Boulevard Cup CX 3/4 4th
Riverside Cross Day 1 3/4 1st
Riverside Cross Day 2 ¾ 2nd
Bubba Cross Columbia DNF
Jingle Cross Day 1 35+ 4th
Jingle Cross Day 2 35+ 3rd
Boss Cross CX 1/2/3 6th
Bubba Cross Hermann A’s 3rd
Mo State CX 35+ 1st (1st Overall Master)
Nationals KCCX 35+ 54th

8 comments:

  1. nice resume. here's my '07 numbers

    4th sport men - Idyllwild Spring Challenge (I was outta shape)
    14th sport men - Castaic State Series (I was really outta shape)
    9th cat 5 group C - Westlake Canyons Stage Race (group C? well there were 150 cat 5s. and oh, I was outta shape)
    1st 2-man team - Little Sac 12, Springfield, Missouri (I brought a Leadville ringer from BoCoMo)

    it's amazing that you aren't planning to do any road racing - I mean why not race some Master's especially since it's not your specialty. After all, I've been racing Master's for ten years and it is a lot safer than those sketchy cat 3 dudes. I mean you could finally beat Bud once and for all.

    now, exactly what does this graphic mean? oh, now I get it. right, Melody are you watching this?

    now when I do an image search for "bike crash" this one is what I expect to see!

    happy new year! sorry for hijacking your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Byron I'm going to do some road racing in the "classics" like Dogwood, Hillsboro, Hells Kitchen. Can't race Master's on the road yet since its 40+ here in the MO. Have 3 more years till I hit that land mark.

    You plan on defending your Sac title? Think I'm going to do it solo on a SS'er this year. True hard man fashion. In fact I'm kicking around the idea of racing all my MTB on an SS'er for kicks.

    NP on the hijacking, enjoyed the commentary. Any job prospects yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. your post was to long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gunga you should have that ADD taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have nothing in my resume but disappointment, smoke and mirrors and dissapointment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gee. Thanks for the pics of kitties! I Luv kitties! Do U have kitty? Could I play with?

    ReplyDelete
  7. got a job coming up at the end of the month on a pretty small film. looking forward to it, but not to losing any fitness. I have no idea if I'll be back for more Sac12, at least this year. jury is still out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr D - nice blog. I'd of been reading it all season had I known. Then you might have hit the 100 readers/day mark. Heading to Belgium next week for Masters Worlds, gotta see first hand what those Belgies got. Check my blog for updates. Sending you a mail about some other things in the works. kB

    ReplyDelete

Google